Odysee Decentralized video content publishing and sharing platform created by the team behind LBRY (pronounced “library”) blockchain protocol.
What is LBRY
LBRY is a blockchain-based file-sharing and payment network that powers decentralized platforms, primarily social networks and video platforms.
LBRY’s creators also run Odysee, an open-source video-sharing website that uses the network. Video platforms built on LBRY, such as Odysee, have been described as decentralized alternatives to YouTube.
The company has described Odysee and other platforms it has built utilizing its LBRY protocol as platforms for free speech and lightly moderates content, including removing pornography or the promotion of violence and terrorism.
Odysee Decentralized Video Content LBRY Tech Features
The LBRY protocol is a decentralized file-sharing and payment network built using blockchain and BitTorrent technology.
It allows anyone to create an account and register content that cannot be deleted by the company.
LBRY uses BitTorrent technology to serve content without relying on their own servers by using peer-to-peer file-sharing.
Creators can record video content to the LBRY blockchain, as well as other digital content including music, images, podcasts, and e-books. The LBRY projects are open source.
Odysee, a video website built by LBRY, Inc. using their LBRY protocol, entered beta in September 2020 and officially launched that December.
LBRY, Inc. also maintains their own cryptocurrency, “LBRY credits” (LBC), which they use as a part of a digital store they have built based on the LBRY blockchain.
Using this currency, creators can charge viewers to stream their content or earn tips. Users of the platform earn LBC through using the platform and inviting others to it.
The LBRY platform experienced a surge in popularity in late 2020 and early 2021, and LBRY, Inc. said in January 2021 that their new user sign-ups had increased to 250% from the previous month.
Reported that many of the new users appeared to be supporters of former United States president Donald Trump, white supremacists, and gun rights advocates who were suspended from YouTube.
Problems of Youtube
- Firstly, you need to have a minimum number of followers to have a custom channel name!
- Secondly, you need to have a minimum number of followers to use it for live video streaming!
- Thirdly, you need to have a minimum number of followers to monetize your channel!
- Finally, if you have certain social and political views that don’t match with the current policy and political alignment of YouTube, and its parent company, i.e., Alphabet (Google companies), then your channel(s) and contents are liable to be deleted without notice!
YouTube is free, and Odysee is also free. Is there anything users will get in Odysee that they won’t get in YouTube and other video-sharing platforms?
But, how does Odysee differ from YouTube, Vimeo, and other video platforms?
Odysee Decentralized Video Content Advantages over Youtube
- Firstly, you don’t need to have a minimum number of followers to have a custom channel name. On Odysee, you can have a custom name for your channel with zero followers.
- Secondly, you don’t need to have a minimum number of followers to monetize your channel. On Odysee, any verified user can monetize the channels. Earning on Odysee is in Lbry coin or LBC, which can be withdrawn to cryptocurrency wallets and exchanged/converted to fiat currencies.
- Thirdly, the verified users decide the price/value of their video content. If you have a verified account, you can receive LBC rewards when verified users watch your videos. The viewers of the video content can directly tip any amount to the creators. All users are eligible to receive tips from other users.
- Fourthly, on Odysee, live streaming has been under testing. It is an upcoming feature and will be launched soon. You don’t need to have a minimum number of followers for live video streaming.
Finally, on Odysee, you have the freedom to have your own opinions in your video content. The administrator of Odysee doesn’t control, edit, or delete your content or channel.
Odysee.com is a new video content publishing and sharing platform by the team behind the Lbry (pronounced “library”) blockchain protocol built on a decentralized, blockchain-based network.
Odysee is a true free video platform for all global Internet users. All verified users can monetize video content.
Join Odysee by clicking the invite link and earn LBC.